Connor Daley Profile

Abby Gedville

Connor Daley is a senior in boys golf. This is his third and final year playing for Lakes, but he has played since he was five years old. He grew up in Lake Villa with his two younger sisters, mother and father. Ever since Daley was a kid he and his father have been playing golf. Though his dad introduced Daley to golf, his grandfather has always been his inspiration.

“He has always been there for me and pushed me to do better, but was never too hard on me,” said Daley. Whether it be just pushing Daley to practice more or cheering him on at sectionals last year, His grandfather always pushes Connor to put his best foot forward no matter what happens.

Daley in addition to being an essential player he is a vital team leader. “He [Daley] really leads the team. He’s one of the more experienced players,” said teammate and fellow senior Sam Klug. “He has been on the team all four years…He knows when to talk to you and when you need to be left to yourself.” Connor has been essential in making his team successful, especially with the younger players. “He’s really good with the younger guys. He shows them leadership and is a motivator for them to get better every day,” Klug added.

Though he is a large contributor to the team, he is still a human and he does mess up. He keeps himself calm and controlled. “Golf is a mental game … I just gotta’ trust my process and not worry about the outcome until it’s over,” Daley said. “Trusting in himself is able to put all doubt behind him and put his best foot forward.

Though he’s had a great season so far, Daley had a minor injury early this season. “I snapped my club at practice, it came up and sliced my finger open,” Daley said. He was out of practice for over three weeks. “I had to change up my grip, my finger still doesn’t close all the way so I have my [pointer] finger just sticking out.”

Despite his injury he has come back to play better than ever. Daley helped his team beat Antioch High School 167 to 172 with a personal score of 38 in a nine hole match. He also finished top 20 in the 18 hole Roger Alm Invitational at Spring Valley Country Club. He is hoping to lead his team to another victory soon against Grant at Thunderhawk Golf Club on the 13th.

In addition to golf, he is active in theater. Last year he was a lead as Jaques in Lake’s rendition of As You Like It by William Shakespeare. Him and his co-stars took the play all the way to state. Lakes was one of only ten performances that played at the University of Illinois in front of thousands of Staff and students.

He hopes to pursue a career in sports management through North Central College in Naperville Illinois. He mainly wants to manage professional football, basketball, and golf players. “My dream player would probably have to be Zach Lavine,” he said. “I have been watching him since I was a kid and I have a signed picture.” He hopes to start small at a minor league or college then work his way up from there.

He is truly excited to finish his normal season strong in the coming weeks and hopefully start the play off with a bang. He is also continuing his acting career with Eagle Theater rendition of “The Book Store” with the opening night in the coming weeks.