Golf After High School

Abby Gedville

The varsity Boys Golf team had a very successful season. They managed to finish with a record of 8-3. Three players managed to achieve all conference. Connor Daley 8th, Henry Samulak 5th, and Brady Cross 2nd overall. Sam Klug and Joey Rivas, both seniors on the varsity team, both have different plans with life and golf after high school.

“I’m not going to play on a team in college, but it will always be a big hobby of mine,” Klug says. “I plan on going to a 4 year university to study sports media.” Klug has played golf since his freshman year of high school, and his freshman year of college will be his first year playing for himself since then.

Rivas has a similar plan to Klug. “I’m not playing in a golf league or on a team anymore, but I’m definitely going to stay super close to the sport,” Rivas says. “The sport has taught me a lot and I always want to be involved in it. Rivas plans to go directly into the workforce, specifically construction.

Klug reflects on his improvements he has made since freshman year. “Freshman year was pretty bad, your basic beginner golfer definitely showed. I’ve improved a lot with making good contact, chipping, putting, and pretty much everything.” The mental side of the game never gets easier though. “Golf is very mental. It’s challenging to make certain decisions and stay calm at times,” Klug says. “Am I making a stupid decision or should I play it safe here?”

Rivas on the other hand, doesn’t think too deeply of golf. He doesn’t necessarily care about performance or outcome, he truly just focuses on having fun and enjoying the game. “I just go out and have fun. I don’t get in my head or anything like that because I just enjoy playing and don’t really care about the result. Obviously I’d prefer to do better but it doesn’t matter to me if I don’t.”

Klug has a lot of fond memories of playing golf for Lakes. He really enjoys the team atmosphere and hanging out with the guys. “Henry and Brady are hilarious, they’re super fun to be around. Everyone on the team is super fun and regardless of how we perform we always have a good time.” There has to be fun involved, no matter how serious things get.

The differences between Klug and Rivas should be understood and appreciated. The athlete that takes it more seriously, and tries their best to succeed like Klug, or the more go-with-the-flow just having fun like Rivas. There is no correct or better way to be, it all depends on what you are really trying to achieve with your time. “I don’t take anything too seriously,” Rivas said. “I just like doing me and enjoying my time.”

Both Rivas and Klug hope to stay close to the sport for similar reasons, despite their differences in the way they approach golf, but they also are moving forward in life and using the lessons golf has taught them to help be the best they can.