The Model Teammate

Abby Gedville
Jacques Montes – Media Day

Although he may not be able to play, he is still a key part of the team and does his part by showing up and helping out his teammates.

During the summer league going into the 2023-24 school year, Jacques Montes was feeling good going into his final year at Lakes. He had been putting in effort and playing well in anticipation of the season. However, during a game against Mchenry High School, tragedy struck while he attempted to get a defensive stop. Montes had torn his ACL, and would not be able to play his senior season.

Chris Snyder, Boys Basketball and Montes’ head coach, lamented that he was, “devastated for him. [He’s] a guy that, he did it making a hustle play in the summer league game, also a guy that’s…making a hustle play and hurt your knee doing that, you feel for him.”

A season-ending injury before your senior year is heartbreaking, but Montes makes up for being unable to play by helping coach and motivate his teammates. “You just mentor them. I usually coach the guys” Montes said, “you know, it’s kind of my role since I can’t play I just try to do as much as I can just be there and just motivate them.” He works to make up for not being able to play by being someone to talk to when the guys can’t talk to their coach during a game or practice.

Regarding Montes’ impact on the team, Coach Snyder remarks “He’s been great, he has been at everything and definitely kind of helps motivate the guys there. I think he’s a guy that, guys [are] kind of drawn to him for kind of some inspiration and everything, and I think just him being here has helped the guys, I think it kind of helps him feel better about it too.”

Montes shares another way he helps his team emotionally. “I’m always trying to calm down guys like JJ,…You really need him. He’s a really important piece to our team.” Keeping your emotions, especially frustration, in check during a game or even a practice is key. Hearing helpful advice or words of encouragement often means more coming from your peers than your coach.

Though he can’t play, Jacques has been a huge part of the team’s success this season. He has been a mentor to his younger teammates. He has helped his fellow seniors get out of a bad mood and calm down. A huge part of a team’s success is keeping everyone on the same page regardless of what’s happening and Montes has done that all season long. “He keeps the team together and helps keep us out of our heads,” Matumona said. “Without him who knows what our record would look like.”

Even though he lost his senior season he continues to help out where he can and keep the team together. Keeping that commitment through injury is difficult but Jacques’ ability too has been remarkable.