Artist You Should Know: Blackbear

Back to Article
Back to Article

Artist You Should Know: Blackbear

Up and coming artist makes a name for himself after working on Justin Bieber's song

Kelly Scheuring, A&E Editor

Twenty-five year old Matthew Musto, also known as Blackbear is has recently hit the charts. He started off with being a co-writer for Justin Bieber’s song ’Boyfriend’. Shortly after, Blackbear released his own mixtape titled ‘Sex’.  When writing his first  mixtape, he was accompanied by the same co-writers who helped write the song ‘Boyfriend’: Mike Posner, James Blake, and Maejor Ali  helped the up and coming artist get himself known.

As an artist, Blackbear presents himself as a singer-songwriter, rapper and a record producer. He owns his own record label named Blackbearmusic. For his music, it’s under the record label of Beartrap. His music would be considered as R&B with an electric and alternative feel mixed in.  

During 2014, Blackbear released another EP, The Afterglow. The EP features songs such as ‘Califormula’, ‘Valley Girls’ and ‘N.Y.E’., which were the bigger hits on the album. Blackbear got more into the spotlight once his full-length album, Deadroses, came out in early 2015. The singer made this album a special one; the biggest song off of the Deadroses album was the song ‘Idcf.’ This song received millions of hits on SoundCloud and Spotify.

The most recent album Blackbear has released is called Cashmere Noose, which was released on Aug. 2, 2016. The album contains songs that express how his lifestyle is portrayed.  As an artist, Blackbear shows his emotions in his lyrics which led to the release of an album based on his life.

As Blackbear continues to release his music and climb the charts, his name will  be in the spotlight in no time. As an artist, he does this for himself and the fans to make music and make others happy.

About the Writer
Kelly Scheuring, Editor-In-Chief

Kelly Scheuring is a Senior at Lakes Community High School. This is her third year on staff and is taking the position as Co-Editor-In-Chief. Kelly wants...