Apple Announces New iPhones and Apple Watch

The New iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR were Introduced in Conjunction with the New Apple Watch Series 4 This Fall

Adam Hartzer, Editor-in-Chief

As another September arrives, Apple also fulfills its annual promise to deliver new products. At the September 12th event, Apple unveiled the new iPhone XS and XS Max, which is the largest Apple iPhone screen at 6.5”. The iPhone XS and XS Max both take the principles from the iPhone X and enhance the original model with updated and advanced features. With a better camera, display screen, and new A12 Bionic chip, the latest iPhone is looking to compete with other smartphone manufacturers. Both models will be offered in Silver, Space Gray and Gold colors and come in 64GB, 256GB and 512GB memory options.

“The TrueDepth camera generates a precise depth map to keep you in focus against a blurred background. Depth Control lets you adjust the depth of field after you shoot,” according to Apple in regard to the camera specifics.

The A12 Bionic chip is 15% faster and uses 50% less battery than the previous A11 chip.

The new iPhones also take Face ID and enhances its features from its debut on the iPhone X.

“Face ID reinvented the way we unlock, log in, and pay. Some of our most sophisticated technologies — the TrueDepth camera system, the Secure Enclave, and the Neural Engine — make it the most secure facial authentication ever in a smartphone. And even faster and easier to use,” Apple states.

Along with the iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple also unveiled the iPhone XR. The iPhone XR will have a 6.1” Liquid Retina HD display. It will also have the same capabilities as the XS and XS Max in terms of Face ID and camera quality. The only difference is that the XS and XS Max have the dual lens, while the XR does not. The XR will come in a variety of different colors including blue, white, black, yellow, coral, and red.

Photo Courtesy of Apple
The iPhone XR will be available in late October.

All three models will come installed with iOS 12, the latest operating system for Apple products. This software update improves performance speeds, offers new features such as group FaceTime, new Animojis, and a customizable “Memoji”, which is Apple’s spin on the classic Bitmoji.

Photo Courtesy of Apple
iOS 12 offers new features such as group FaceTime and Memoji.

Additionally, Apple also rolled out the Apple Watch Series 4, which completely redesigned the watch and interface to provide users with more health information and ease of communication.

Photo Courtesy of Apple
The all-new Apple Watch Series 4 is completely redesigned.

The iPhone XS, XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 are now on sale. The iPhone XR will begin pre-orders starting October 19th, with the official launch being October 26th.

About the Writer
Adam Hartzer, Editor-in-Chief

Adam Hartzer is a senior at Lakes Community High School. It is his second year on the Talon Times staff and is the Editor-in-Chief. He is involved in the theatre department backstage as the Stage Manager. He is a member of the National Honor Society as the Director of Service and is also in the Thespian Theatre Honor Society. Adam enjoys photography and is thrilled to be able to write and share stories with the readers. He is so excited to be a part of the staff and what is to come this year!