Girls Track Embraces Versatility to Find Success

Rachel Froehlich, News Editor

As their indoor season concludes, the Girls Track team leaves behind a trail of personal bests as they embark on the second half of their 2017 season. The majority of the team is returning from last year, allowing success and flexibility as athletes step outside of their comfort zones to expand their capabilities and improve their athleticism.

“We’ve had a really good indoor season in my opinion comparing to last year [and] years past. I think we’ve improved in all of our performances,” Head Girls Track Coach Travis Shepherd said.

At the Hononegah Classic the team ranked 6th place out of 33 teams, finishing with a grand tally of 37 points. Junior Taylor Tilmon placed top four in all three sprint events of the day. Toyin Jackson has provided the team with not only senior leadership, but has finished in the top three at every meet that the team has attended.

“We’re seeing some leadership there, we’re seeing those girls jump in and really help us score points in every event and the really cool thing is they’re willing to try new things,” Shepherd said.

Shepherd truly commended his athletes for relying on good judgement to expand their horizons and fill into different positions where they’re needed. Girls from all backgrounds including volleyball, dance, soccer and cheer have begun to mesh and create the diversity that a successful team looks for when going after scores in all categories.

On the distance side, freshman Olivia Schmitt and sophomore Rae Dwyer have both had successful starts to their seasons. Dwyer was the Conference Champion in the 800 meter relay, and Schmitt was able to place at a large invitational as only a freshman.

The 4×800 meter relay team finished in 3rd after Michelle Cousineau, Alyssa Stromsland, Morgan Gillespie and Megan Fish ran with consistency, and will continue to strive for a fast time as they enter outdoor season. Sophomore Hannah Grant also set a personal best in the 3200 meter, topping off her performance with NLCC All-Conference Honors.

In the 55 meter High Hurdles, Senior Sarah Gajda placed 5th at Conference, and Sophomore Noelle Jones set a personal best as she placed 3rd in pole vault.

“The fact that you’re seeing athletes performing at a high level right now is just a testament to how hard they’re working and the fact that they’re trusting the process, that’s pretty much what it comes down to,” explained Shepard.
The team is entering their outdoor season with great optimism that the diversity of their athletes will open new doors and send a number of girls down to state by the end of the season. With no direct preparation being made for performances in indoor season, all scores are attributed to hard work done in the past few weeks. If the athletic accomplishments of the girl’s indoor season are any indication of the successes to come in outdoor, it looks as if the banners in the gym will be sporting a long list of 2017 triumphs.

About the Writer
Rachel Froehlich, News Editor

Rachel Froehlich is grateful to be a member of the Talon Times staff as a senior at Lakes. Aside from her participation in the Talon Times, she has been heavily influenced by her role on the Varsity Dance Team, and has a passion for the poetic nature of thoughts and culture. She has high expectations for what remaining time she has at Lakes and is hopeful that through caffeine induced procrastination she can succeed in pursuing her passions and expanding her intellectual boundaries.

Email: [email protected]