Baseball Strives Past Complacency

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball Strives Past Complacency

Junior pitcher Matt Grub earned the win in the Eagles' win on March 23.

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

Losing in the IHSA Sectional Final last season was a tough pill for the Lakes Community High School Baseball team to swallow. Despite making an unprecedented run for the program, the team will not settle for anything less than the best.

With lots of returning players and new, energetic underclassmen, the Eagles are expected to have an even better season than the previous. Senior pitcher Jack Christensen has been pitching on varsity since his sophomore year and is a leader on the team. He has only one thing on his mind this season.

“There’s only one goal in my mind and that’s making it to state,” Christensen said.

This goal is not unrealistic for a team that has some players with serious postseason experience.

“Last season we were a very young team but still made the deepest playoff run in Lakes history. Going into this year we’re bringing a lot of experience into the postseason unlike ever before,” Christensen said.

Assistant Coach Brian Kelly has been apart of the program for several years and believes that this team is very different from past years.

“The big difference is that no one is really satisfied with last year’s results,” Kelly said. “There is a big drive to keep pushing and really hit the goal of getting to state.”

Making it to the state finals and also winning it is a big task. The Eagles are off to a good start after beating Maine South 12-2 in their season opener. The team hopes to continue their good play in their tournament in Chattanooga, Tenn. where they will play at least four games with a chance of playing an additional two for the semi-final and championship.

“We are expecting it to be pretty competitive and we are looking forward just to see what we have,” Kelly said.

The trip can also be a bonding experience for a team that already gets along pretty well according to Christensen.

“The team chemistry is great. There aren’t any divisions between the sophs, juniors and seniors,” Christensen said. “We are truly a well oiled machine.”

A huge difference in this year’s team is the change in the head coach position. Robert Holst has taken over the helm and has been excelling thus far according to Christensen.

“Under the wing of coach Holst we have hit the ground running. Since he’s already been apart of the program there haven’t been any issues with the transition,” Christensen said.

Junior Ryan Selig hopes that the success from last year will transfer to this season. He believes that the only thing standing in the team’s way is their will to work and to stay focused.

“Baseball is a mentally taxing sport. It’s a real grind,” Selig said. “If we can stay locked through the long nights and long hours, we are going to be able to just get it.”

Lakes will travel to Tenn. to play their next game on March 29.