Pop Tab Challenge Begins at Lakes

Milk+jugs+are+dispersed+to+second+hour+classes+to+collect+pop+tabs.+
Milk jugs are dispersed to second hour classes to collect pop tabs.

Photo by Emmy Lucas

Photo by Emmy Lucas

Emmy Lucas, Managing Editor

Key Club’s annual Pop It and Drop It pop tab collection competition began Monday, Feb. 27 at Lakes Community High School.

Key Club is a volunteer based club where members partake in a multitude of volunteer opportunities, fundraisers and campaigns. The Pop It and Drop It campaign began last year when brainstorming for new fundraisers and events to benefit different causes. A Key Club member suggested the idea of a pop tab collection as her old school held a similar event.

“We all immediately liked the idea and started planning for the event and how we would change it to fit our school,” Maddie Johnson, Lakes Key Club President, said. “We had no idea how successful the event would be and were amazed by how many people participated and how many pop tabs we collected. This year, we decided to continue the event and make it an annual thing. We also wanted to change the disease we were raising money for so that we could help more people.”

Last year, the campaign collected more than 400,000 pop tabs and the money raised by recycling those pop tabs went toward Multiple Sclerosis. Key Club decided to donate the money to the Eliminate Project this year, a campaign geared toward eliminating maternal neonatal tetanus.

As 160 babies die each day due to neonatal tetanus, health education and a series of three doses of tetanus vaccine costs approximately two dollars. The money raised through this campaign is predicted to protect and save mothers and their future babies by providing vaccines and education.

The planning and involvement of Pop It and Drop It is extensive. The premise is a competition of every second hour class to collect the most pop tabs. Each class has a milk jug to collect pop tabs and a poster describing the cause is taped to the teacher’s desk.

“It is pretty hectic. Our biggest challenge last year was getting enough people to help and trying to get into all of the classrooms to collect the pop tabs,” said Johnson. “Many of us stayed after school for hours just trying to get everything done. Eventually, we figured out how to make it run more smoothly.”

The competition has been promoted via social media as well as mentioned in class meetings and daily announcements. The winning second hour class is promised a free breakfast, an incentive Johnson thinks is essential.

“I think that this competition is good for a number of reasons. The competition is what gets people to donate. The prospect of winning is definitely what makes this fundraiser so successful,” Johnson said.

Johnson said the fact that pop tabs are collected versus money is what gets people to donate because they do not have to continuously dig up their pocket change.

The goals of Pop It and Drop It go beyond raising awareness and money for a cause, it is a communal effort to work toward a certain cause together.

“Overall, I think Key Club enjoys this event. It is our biggest fundraiser that we put on completely by ourselves and something we all take ownership of. Although it is somewhat challenging, the benefits and outcome of this challenge heavily out-weigh any of the problems or difficulties.”

About the Writer
Emmy Lucas, Managing Editor

Emmy Lucas is a senior and in her second year on staff, taking the position as Managing Editor. Being a storyteller, she says, is a passion to be pursued and something she enjoys. As a member of National Honor Society, Student Council, and Key Club, Emmy spends her free time dancing at Steps Performing Arts studio. A city girl with a country twang, Emmy is also an avid reader and Kate Spade enthusiast who adores pretty things and witty words. She hopes to continue her writing and journalism career in college and looks forward to her senior year. In the words of Kate Spade, life should be lived colorfully.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @EmmyRLucas