Interact Club Holds Annual Chili Cook-Off

Back to Article
Back to Article

Logo for Interact Club

Logo for Interact Club

Photo by Samantha Boyle

Logo for Interact Club

Photo by Samantha Boyle

Photo by Samantha Boyle

Logo for Interact Club

Emmy Lucas, Managing Editor

Whether you participate by making chili or simply come to taste test and vote, the Chili Cook-Off hosted by Interact Club wants participants.

The annual event will take place this year in the Antioch Community High School Commons from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 14.

Advanced registration to participate in cooking for the Chili Cook-Off is required and can be done by filling out the form sent to student emails. A list of all ingredients must also be provided to ensure safety for students with allergies. No secret ingredients are allowed here!

Students and their families can also participate by paying five dollars to taste test all recipes and vote on a winner. Proceeds will be donated directly by Interact Club to help schools in Tanzania.

Interact Club combines students from both ACHS and Lakes Community High School and is an extension of the local Antioch Rotary Club.

“Our club has a dedication to service both locally and internationally. It is an excellent club to join if students are looking to get involved and do work with the community, and they will receive hours for the work completed,” Randie-Lynn Reynolds, Interact Club sponsor and Lakes teacher said.

Interact Club participates in key projects such as volunteering at Open Arms Mission once a month, fundraising through Battle for Change in the fall and fundraising during the Chili Cook-Off. The Chili Cook-Off has been held every year since the club began. Its purpose is to fundraise for schools in Tanzania where donations and proceeds go directly to a program called EdPowerment.

“Being a part of the Chili Cook-Off, to me, has great meaning. Not only do I get to see my students enjoy themselves and be proud of an event that they put together, but they are also passionate about their work and fundraising for students in Tanzania. Seeing them work hard and show that passion is wonderful, and of course knowing that we are doing good by helping students in Tanzania achieve their goals and make a difference in their lives,” Reynolds said.

EdPowerment, a non-profit organization that helps educational systems and students throughout the world, disperses donation money by providing schools with food, school supplies and money that can be used for salary payments. Donations made at the Chili Cook-Off will be donated to support the education of the students of Kilimahewa Educational Center in Tanzania, Africa.

Prepare your taste buds and participate in Interact Club’s Chili Cook-Off to support a great cause.