Football Seniors Leave Lasting Legacy

Football+concludes+the+season+at+%286-4%29.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Football Seniors Leave Lasting Legacy

Football concludes the season at (6-4).

Football concludes the season at (6-4).

Rachel Froleich

Football concludes the season at (6-4).

Rachel Froleich

Rachel Froleich

Football concludes the season at (6-4).

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

It all came to an end for the Eagles of Lakes Community High School (6-4) as they lost in the first round of playoffs to Grayslake North (8-2) 42-28 on Oct. 28. This is the second year in a row that Lakes was knocked out in the first round.

Although the Eagles were defeated in the first round, their season was a respectable one according to Head Coach Luke Mertens.

“I thought this team proved to be very resilient,” Mertens said. “We suffered some tough losses to start the season, coupled with many crucial injuries throughout conference play; however, our team kept fighting, earning a spot in the postseason.”

Lakes began the season in a hole, losing their first two games. After that they went (6-1) including a win over Grayslake North in Week 3 and a close 14-7 loss against undefeated Antioch.

Senior lineman Jack Christensen is proud of his four years in the football program at Lakes. He is happy with the way his team bonded because it made some of his best memories.

“One of my favorite memories was the dance competition. A- Rey danced with that little shirt cut off over his chest, and me spraying water on him with Griffin; that was just so funny,” Christesen said.

After the opening scrimmage, the team had a dance-off between players. It was moments like this that Christensen will remember. To all of the returning players next year Christensen has one piece of  advice.

“Work your butt off in the weight room while you can,” Christensen said.

That would surely help with improving for next year according to Mertens. The things the team needs to get better at are the aspects of the game that they have been focusing on all season.

“As I’ve said all year, football comes down rushing offense and rushing defense. We were just ‘ok’ in both these areas this year,” Mertens said. “For us to move to the next level, we need to improve in both these areas.”

Looking to next year, the Eagles will be losing a very talented senior class. However, they were more than just a talented group of football players to Mertens.

“Who we are matters way more than what we do,” Mertens said. “Football is something these seniors do, but not who they are. There’s not a senior group in the state that I would trade for our seniors.”

Senior wide receiver Conner Chamernik learned a lot from football throughout the years. The lessons he has been taught has helped him define who he is. According to Chamernik he has found the key to success in life.  

“Football has taught me more life lessons than I would ever have expected,” Chamernik said. “The biggest lesson that I’ve learned from football is that the only thing you can control in life is attitude and effort.”

Legacies are often talked about in sports. With this chapter of Christensen’s athletic career ending, he hopes that people remember his character and who he is.

“I hope the legacy I leave is the way I carried myself on the football team. I always did the right things and I want people to remember that,” Christensen said. “Being a lineman isn’t glamorous but someone has to do the little things.”