Football Looks to Clinch Playoff Berth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football Looks to Clinch Playoff Berth

Senior defensive back Shemar Gladden returned an interception for a touchdown in the 68-7 victory over Round Lake on Oct. 14.

Megan Olson

Megan Olson

Megan Olson

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

Lakes Community High School had a successful week in football last week as the Eagles easily handed the Round Lake Panthers a 68-7 loss. The victory advances Lakes’ record to (5-3), one away from clinching a playoff berth.

The goal for every team is win each time they step on the field. For Head Coach Luke Mertens, he also wants his team to get better. According to Mertens, you can get better each game no matter the competition.  

It’s never about the opponent; rather, it’s about our execution, and we were nearly perfect in all three phases of the game,” Mertens said.

Mertens expects his team to execute the same way in their next game against North Chicago. In order to have a for sure spot in the playoffs, the Eagles will need to win this next game. Senior lineman Ethan Kiley says that his entire team understands the goal.

“I feel that I speak for the entire team when I say the most important thing that we need to accomplish tonight is getting the victory,” Kiley said.

Lakes started off their season with two losses for the second season in a row. They have crawled back into playoff contention by keeping that magic number of wins in mind.

“It’s all about getting to six wins. Regular season records are not important,” Mertens said. “This is a team that could make some noise in the postseason. We just need to play our best football because there is no more tomorrow.”

Kiley is proud of the way his team has turned their season around to put themselves in this position.

“I am very impressed with our resilience. Coming back from two tough losses to start is no easy task,” Kiley said.

In order to get that sixth win versus North Chicago, Kiley agrees with Mertens saying that they need to execute. However, he also says they have to just go out there and take it.

“We have to be physical, follow all of our assignments and get our meat,” Kiley said.

Though the team is confident that they will get the win, this could potentially be their last game of the season. With that in mind Kiley reflected on his favorite part of the season.

“My favorite part of this season was going out under the lights and playing the sport that I love with my brothers,” Kiley said.

Mertens also recognized that his time with the seniors on his team is limited. After four years of working with these players, he does not want it to end.

“One of the toughest parts of coaching is saying goodbye to seniors. We have had so many high-character and hard-working players, and this senior class is no exception,” Mertens said. “My hope is to extend this season as long as possible because I truly enjoy each and every day working with this senior class.”

The Eagles’ game against North Chicago will kickoff at 7:15 p.m. on Oct. 21 at Polley Field.