Football Prepares for Panthers on Senior Night

Defensive+backs+Griffin+Quinn+and+Ethan+Greenfield+lineup+in+the+backfield+in+the+14-7+loss+against+Antioch+on+Oct.+7.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Defensive backs Griffin Quinn and Ethan Greenfield lineup in the backfield in the 14-7 loss against Antioch on Oct. 7.

Rachel Froehlich

Rachel Froehlich

Rachel Froehlich

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

Heartbreak fell on the football team of Lakes Community High School (4-3) as the Eagles’ four game winning streak was snapped by rivals Antioch (7-0). Lakes fell just short losing the game 14-7.

“[We beat] ourselves. There were too many times that Lakes beat Lakes,” Head Coach for the Eagles Luke Mertens said.

Lakes failed to score on four plays from the opponents three yard line on their opening drive turning the ball over to Antioch, wasting the turnover they generated from a blocked field goal. The effort was there according to Mertens. They were just not able to capitalize on their opportunities.

“Our players gave an awesome effort, but unfortunately, we failed to execute at some crucial points in the game,” Mertens said.

The game being as low scoring as it was, was a very physical and defensive heavy game. Many players on each side received some knocks, most notably for the Eagles, defensive back Ethan Greenfield who is out with a torn MCL. Mertens hopes that his team will be able to overcome this obstacle and not let it become an excuse.

“That’s football. Everyone deals with injuries, but it’s the teams that don’t let injuries to become an excuse that excel the most,” Mertens said.

Moving forward, Lakes will have two weaker opponents before heading into playoffs, assuming that Lakes will secure these next two victories. The Round Lake Panthers are sitting at (0-7) and are the next matchup for the Eagles. The goal for the team is to get the win, and to tighten things up on both ends of the ball.

“Every week our focus is Lakes. As I mentioned, we failed to execute at times last game.That will become our focus,” Mertens said.

The game versus Round Lake will also hold a special meaning for the Eagles as they honor their seniors on Senior Night. Junior linebacker Deven Lindsey is cherishing the time he has left playing with the seniors on his team.

“It’s definitely not pleasing thinking about the limited time I have left with the seniors,” Lindsey said. “They’re who I look up to and go to for guidance.”

Lindsey has tremendous respect for the older guys on his team as they set an example for the rest of the team.

“They mean a lot to our team. The seniors show me what standards I need to follow to become a great leader next year,” Lindsey said.

Lakes will square off against Round Lake at 7:15 p.m. on Oct. 14.