Lakes Looks to Extend Win Streak to Three

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior quarterback Brandon Khan hands the ball off to senior running back Cameron Ruiz who ran for two rushing touchdowns against Wauconda on Sept. 16.

Megan Olson

Megan Olson

Megan Olson

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

After a 34-14 victory over Wauconda on Sept 16, the Lakes Community High School football team look to extend their win streak to three games against Grant on Sept. 23.

The Eagles went into the Wauconda game anticipating a run oriented Bulldog offense and after the first half of play it was tied 14-14. It was a battle between the linemen as three of four first half touchdowns were off the run.

The second half went much differently as Lakes was able to stop the strong, Wauconda run game while keeping their own alive. The Eagles scored 20 unanswered points in the second half to put the game away. Head Coach Luke Mertens credits the execution on defense to the impressive second half performance.

Nothing changed schematically [in the second half]. We just started playing better team defense, which allowed us to have the ball more offensively in the second half,” Mertens said.

Senior running back Cameron Ruiz also had a huge impact in the game. He accounted for three touchdowns including the 89 yard rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter. Ruiz gives all the praise to his linemen.

“I honestly don’t have to do much because without the offensive line I have, I won’t be able to get those big runs,” Ruiz said. “I have to give all my thanks to them.”

Looking forward to Grant, the Eagles must prepare for another offensive run heavy opponent. This is business as usual for Lakes as their emphasis the past few weeks have been stopping the run game and establishing their’s. Mertens also believes that controlling the game tempo will be a key factor

“Very similar theme to the previous weeks, we need to be able to play run defense, and hopefully be able to control the clock,” Mertens said.

Ruiz believes his team is ready for Grant as they have prepared the game just as hard as any other game.

“We feel prepared for Grant. We had a good week of practice and we are approaching it like any other game,” Ruiz said.

The game against Grant will kickoff at 7:15 p.m. at Grant High School. Follow @TTimessports on Twitter for live updates of the game.