Baseball Kicks Off a New Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball Kicks Off a New Season

Junior Jack Christensen put in a long shift in the 7-3 loss to Wauconda, pitching eight innings.

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits

Stephen Gerrits, Sports Editor

The snow has melted and the base lines have been drawn, baseball is back. Lakes baseball began action on Thursday, March 10 against Waukegan, beating them 11-1. The following day they lost to Crystal Lake Central 11-1. Since then the Eagles are 2-4.

Head coach Ray Gialo believes that the early season struggles reveal a lot about the the team’s inexperience at the varsity level.

“You can see some of our inexperience at the varsity level showed,” Gialo said. “It showed what I think we are right, now which is a young team trying to find its way a little bit.”

In a majority of the losses, the team has been competitive but has just not been able to hold on to victory according to Gialo.

After graduating most of the pitchers with the last senior class, the pitching staff will heavily rely on the experience of junior Jack Christensen and senior Benjamin Milewski.

“The nice thing is that we have Jack Christensen, who as a sophomore last year came up and threw three or four varsity games for us,” Gialo said. “Ben Milewski threw the next most innings for us as a junior so those two guys will be at the top of our rotation.”

Christensen is optimistic about the season. He believes that his team’s record does not reflect where they will be by the end of the season.

“So far for the season our record is 3-5 but it doesn’t reflect the amount of talent we have on the team. Yes, it has been a slow start but it’s one that I definitely can see us turning around in our next couple of games,” Christensen said.

With a new season comes new expectations, however there is always one major goal that is there. Achieving that goal requires a few checkpoints along the way.

“The ultimate goal always is to win a State championship,” Gialo said. “On a smaller level, right now, I think we want to be better the next game than we were the game before.”

In order to get his young team up to the speed of the varsity level, Gialo plans on not only teaching the tactical game but the mental one as well.

“The baseball end of it, we are always coaching that but… getting them to understand that one 0-3 game is not the end of the world and a 3-3 isn’t going to make your season either. Just getting them to understand that each day they got to come to work and grind through it,” Gialo said. “Past results do not dictate future results.”

Christensen believes that the major facet of their game that needs to change in order for them to reach that next level is their energy.

“Our team needs to improve on our overall level of energy in the dugout and communication on the field,” Christensen said.

The stage is set for the young team, with some more experience at this level, they will look to turn around their rough start. At this point, Christensen believes that there will only be good things for his team in the future.

“We are on a rollercoaster that is only going up,” Christensen said

The Eagles play next at Wauconda on Apr 13.