Eagle Pals Participate in Allied Soccer

Lakes Community High School group joins quickly growing, national soccer program after success with neighboring schools

Josh McQuade, Business Manager

CCWaCPnWgAAoZ02.jpg-large

Sequoit-Eagles Allied soccer team ties Warren 4-4 in inaugural game.

Lakes Community High School will join other North Suburban Conference schools this spring in creating an Allied Soccer team. Allied Soccer is a new co-ed sport that offers students needing accommodations and support to participate in athletics an opportunity to play soccer along with students who are looking to aid and mentor Allied athletes.

Eagle Pals, an organization at Lakes, is putting together the brand new Allied Soccer team. The members of Eagle Pals will compete as Allied Student Partners and help coach the Partners and Athletes.

Along with Eagle Pals helping coach the team, Kyle Naughton, Lakes English teacher and Eagle Pals sponsor, will be one of the teachers supervising the team.

“Every kid should have access to typical teenage opportunities,” Naughton said. “The new sport will present kids who do not normally have access to typical teenage opportunities with a chance to compete in an intramural sport.”

The principle behind this program is essentially to give equal access to students who don’t have access to all the experiences that come with being a high school student.

“I think it’s the school’s job to provide that kind of access to hanging out with friends, or playing in some kind of fun, competitive sport…every kid here should have access to whatever they want their high school experience to be,” Naughton said.

While there are only a handful of schools that have this program, the goal is to get more schools and Allied students involved in activities within their schools.

The Lakes Allied Soccer program received donors almost immediately after sparking conversation of the sport.

“The Rotary Club chipped in. They donated $500 to us. The LCHS Boosters donated $500,” Naughton said.

Allied Soccer in Lake County began at Adlai E. Stevenson High School in 2014 and quickly spread to neighboring schools. The benefits Stevenson lists span from problem-solving, to social and emotional skills within a competitive environment. Stevenson’s Allied Soccer team has a five-game schedule for the spring with games against Lakes, Mundelein, Warren, Antioch, and a team yet to be announced.

Naughton describes the program is an opportunity for the whole school to come and support athletes of all abilities as they enjoy a typical teenager experience.

“It would be cool if we could get the Royal Rush out there and the school band,” Naughton said.

If you are interested in participating in or attending the Allied soccer games, contact Naughton at k[email protected] or attend their first game on Apr. 11.