Season Wrap-Up: Varsity Tennis

Varsity+singles+player%2C+Liano+Lopez%2C+warms+up+before+the+Lakes+Conference+in+early+Oct.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Season Wrap-Up: Varsity Tennis

Varsity singles player, Liano Lopez, warms up before the Lakes Conference in early Oct.

Noora Reffat

Noora Reffat

Noora Reffat

Noora Reffat, News Editor

The Lakes Community High School girls tennis program wrapped up their season late October, finalizing the season with the state send-off of Varsity No.1 Doubles’ players Morgan Visser and Ally Perdue. The duo won their first match against  Reavis High School, but later lost to Stevenson High School.

At the end of the season, the team had recorded four wins and nine losses. Despite the story told by their record, Varsity Head Coach Brian Plinske believes it was a success.

“The season was good one,” said Plinske. “Every position fought hard during every match.  Each girl knew her role on the team and tried to improve every day.”

The end of this season also marks a new beginning, as come spring, there will be an additional six courts added to the already impressive tennis complex. These courts are being made as a place for tennis players at Antioch Community High School to to practice, but they also offer to Lakes an opportunity to hold larger conferences in the future.

“The new courts will add a great deal to the tennis experience, “said Plinske. “ We have dramatically increased our plans for summer opportunities – expanded our summer camp, invited other schools for match play, created a community night, and secured dates for charity tournaments.  We will expand all of our tournaments, we will add tournaments to our schedule, and we will not need multiple sites [for hosting tournaments].  We already used the lighted courts for both the Conference and Sectional tournaments during the girls season.”

With construction of the courts done, the boys season, which will begin in the spring, will be the first to utilize the newly expanded courts.

The Girls Tennis program opens back up next fall, but in the meantime, the team will host numerous summer camps and opportunities for players to get involved and new members to join the team. Informational meetings will be held second semester for students interested in getting involved.

For those who are unsure if tennis is the right sport for them, Coach Plinske offers some advice:

“I would say come on out.  We will teach you the game of tennis.  If you are willing to make the commitment and be part of the team, then we will welcome you.  The advice would be that tennis cannot be a three month sport.  If you are going to be good, get involved during the summer.”