Girls’ Tennis Players Morgan Visser, Ally Perdue Qualify for State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Morgan Visser and junior Ally Perdue walk down the halls during the state walk on Oct. 22.

Photo by Samantha Green

Photo by Samantha Green

Photo by Samantha Green

Samantha Green, Staff Reporter

The first state walk of the school year was held on Oct. 22 for senior Morgan Visser and junior Ally Perdue, who both qualified for state for girls’ tennis. It is the first time in seven years that a Lakes girls’ tennis team has gone to state, as Visser and Perdue are bringing Lakes in as one of the top 128 teams in the state.

With the excitement of this accomplishment, Visser and Perdue have been hard at work preparing themselves for the days ahead. A large component to this preparation has been preparing themselves for the competition.

“A lot of [the preparation for state] is just being comfortable with the idea of… playing these really tough teams,” Visser said.

Starting with matches on Oct. 23, teams will be eliminated and the competition will be narrowed down. Despite the pressure, an open mind will be key for Visser and Perdue as they head into the tournament.

“We’re just going to go in and try our hardest… no matter the result,” Perdue said.

This will be the first time Visser and Purdue have gone to state, and because of this, there are many unknowns ahead. But the two are prepared for the experience.

“We’ve never done this before, so we don’t really know what to expect… People can tell us, but we still don’t really know, so I think overall… we’re going in for the experience,” Perdue said.

Since Visser is a senior and this is her last time playing tennis for school, she said state will be a bittersweet experience for her.

“For me, [going to state is] a way to end my tennis career. That’s just kind of a big deal for me… closing off on that chapter of my life,” Visser said.

Leading up to state, Perdue said the two had a good season and their qualification was unexpected.

“If you would have told us three years ago when we partnered up that we were gonna go to state, we probably would have laughed at you,” Visser said.

In the three seasons that they have played together, the two have put forth hard work that has helped in putting them in their position today. Visser and Perdue have built on a legacy and they hope their hard work will continue on through the years.

“[Hopefully future players can] try to be successful… years down the line,” Perdue said.

Update: Visser and Perdue played in three matches on Oct. 23 and won their first match. They were eliminated on Thursday but coach Bryan Plinske said they had a good performance and handled the situation well.

“They… went out and did a fantastic job, especially with serving under very difficult conditions and played that first match exceptionally well,” Plinske said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls’ Tennis Players Morgan Visser, Ally Perdue Qualify for State”

1. Lakes Student Media : Girls Tennis Wraps Up Season on November 18th, 2014 9:50 am

[…] School girls tennis program wrapped up their season late October, finalizing the season with the state send-off of Varsity No.1 Doubles’ players Morgan Visser and Ally Perdue. The duo won their first match […]

• Girls’ Tennis Players Morgan Visser, Ally Perdue Qualify for State

Fall Sports

Girls Tennis Update

Tennis

Girls Tennis Focuses on Positivity

Fall Sports

Girls Tennis Wrap-Up

• Fall Sports

2015 Girls Tennis Slideshow

Sports

Girls Tennis Off To Solid Start

Sports

Season Wrap-Up: Varsity Tennis

Fall Sports

Closer Look at Girls Varsity Tennis: Morgan Visser

• School

Why Is the School so Cold?

International

Mosque Attack in New Zealand

• Opinions

Hottest Cities in America (And Their Colleges)