Closer Look at Girls Varsity Tennis: Morgan Visser

Back to Article
Back to Article

Morgan Visser serves during her match against Vernon Hills on Sept. 11

Photo by Noora Reffat

Photo by Noora Reffat

Photo by Noora Reffat

Noora Reffat, News Editor

Having graduated five Varsity players last year, the Lakes Varsity tennis team has been undergoing many changes this season, including an expansion of courts.

“We haven’t had this young of a squad,” said Coach Bryan Plinski. “ [There are] only about three seniors on Varsity and a number of sophomores playing which is unusual.”

One of these Seniors is Morgan Visser, a doubles player who has been an active part of the tennis program since freshmen year. As a senior, she holds the position of No. 1 doubles, along with her partner, Ally Perdue.

Though the program now includes many underclassmen, Visser has commented on how the dynamics of the team, though different, are continuously improving as the team becomes more unified.

“Over the years I felt the chemistry within the program has changed quite a bit,” said Visser. “Last season we really started to build a bond between [Varsity and Junior Varsity]… we did so by having a Big Sister and Little Sister [program].”

Visser went on to say how this newfound bond has helped the team feel more comfortable and she hopes that when the seniors graduate this year, the girls will be able to uphold the tradition for many more years to come.

Along with younger team members, the program is also anticipating new changes in the coming years as they are getting an additional six courts.

These courts offer boundless new opportunities for the tennis program, for both girls and boys, as they allow Lakes to host larger tournaments and allow for all players to play at the same location, rather than being sent to various schools.

When asked about the new courts, Visser said, “I definitely hope to see success for the program as years go on. I think it will be very interesting to hear how the new additions to the courts go and how that plays out.”

Though Visser will be finishing her last year of tennis around the same time the courts will be playable, the tennis program as a whole has taught her a lot.

“In the past four years that I have been in tennis, it has helped me a lot with who I am as a person,” said Visser. “It sounds a little cliché, but I have made many of my great friendships through the tennis program here.”

Visser does not plan to play competitively in college, but this has not curbed her love for the sport or her encouragement for girls to pick up the racket and give it a shot, even if it is just for their high school career.

“Almost all of the players that go through the program have never picked up a racquet until tryouts, so there is absolutely no need to worry about that,” said Visser. “Also, our coaches are great with working with new players and introducing them to the sport, where they are able to find success as time goes on and really be molded into a great tennis player.”

Over the years, Visser, along with her partner, has won first place medals three years in a row in the Lakes Quad, having been JV No. 1 doubles the first year, Varsity No. 3 doubles the next year, and finally Varsity No. 1 doubles this year.  The duo also took fourth in the Prairie Lakes Invite Conference.

Morgan Visser and her partner, Ally Perdue, greet their No. 1 doubles opponents during their match against Vernon Hills

Photo by Noora Reffat
Morgan Visser (back left) and her partner, Ally Perdue (left),  greet their No. 1 doubles opponents during their match against Vernon Hills