Cures Act Passed, 2016

"My first time in DC, I attended an art reception in the Rayburn House Office Building Foyer. It is a great opportunity to not only connect with other advocates, but also to network with Congressional staffers and tell them why the 21st Century Cures Act is so important," Emily Muller said.

Photo by EverLife Foundation

Photo by EverLife Foundation

Sam Boyle, Business Manager

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been around for just over 110 years. The fact that the FDA is so old could indicate there may be some out of date processes, as the times are always changing. The Cures Act will work to speed up the process of providing patients with the life-saving drugs they may desperately need. This bill will also fund mental health care on college campuses and medical research.

“Some of [the funding] is for research on neuroscience, like alzheimer’s, and then also I think there’s part of it that’s about stem cells and regeneration type research which is good because that can help find the cures for different types of diseases or chronic issues,” Lakes government teacher, Randie-Lynn Reynolds, said.

Two years, 966 pages and one goal. The 21st Century Cures Act has been in revision since April 2014 and was finally passed through Congress in late December 2016.

The bill will lead to the movement of funding for different programs such as the FDA, which is one of the reasons why opposers of the Cures Act were against it. However, the bill was almost bipartisan. Regardless of the political stance of the congressmen and women, the majority voted to pass the bill.

“I know that not everybody was happy about the bill, even though it was mostly bipartisan, which is great,” Reynolds said.

Emily Muller, an activist and senior at Lakes Community High School,  has been personally involved and affected by the passing of the Cures Act. She often takes trips to Washington D.C., where she reaches out to representatives and attends many meetings for certain legislations.

“It has been the most amazing thing that I’ve ever had the opportunity to be a part of,” Muller said.

Not only has she been affected by a rare disease herself, she has had multiple encounters with other patients and friends who will benefit from the Cures Act as well. She now has a blog where she writes and talks about her experiences and future. To learn more about Muller and her fight visit Emilysfight.com

“[The Cures Act] is really important to me because my main treatment was an off-label infusion therapy that my insurance didn’t cover.  If my family didn’t have a way to pay for the treatment, I would have never received it,” Muller said.

A lot of the credit for this bill goes to the lobbyists who have spent the past two years talking to congressmen and pushing to get the Cures Act passed through the House and the Senate. However, there were more than just lobbyists pushing to get the bill passed.

“The majority of the work that went into passing this legislation came from the same people that I’d meet in the basement of the Darlington House every D.C. night.  They are all friends.  They’ve all got someone that they’re fighting for,” Muller said.

Muller is heavily involved in the legislative process and would like to see other young people to get involved as well.

The bill will allow some of those young people, who may have rare diseases like Muller, to have hopes of getting the medicine they need faster and having a higher chance of survival.

“Now in ten or twenty or thirty years I may get to watch a child have a shot at surviving a disease that would have killed them by the age of twelve.  That’s a beautiful thing,” Muller said.