Be an Eagle Week Prompts Prominent Pride at Lakes

A blow up obstacle course filled the small gym on Tuesday, Feb. 7 where students and staff raced.

Photo by Griffin Quinn

Photo by Griffin Quinn

Emmy Lucas, Managing Editor

From singing karaoke during lunch to racing through an obstacle course, Be an Eagle Week prompted prominent pride and school spirit throughout Lakes Community High School. Be an Eagle Week was a celebration of students exemplifying the Eagle Way through various activities. The spirit week started Monday, Feb. 6 and lasted throughout the week, leading up to the Turnabout dance on Saturday.

During lunch periods, different activities were set up throughout the week. Monday kicked off the week with karaoke.

“Karaoke was my favorite part because it was different and fun to hear people sing during lunch,” senior Melanie Grupka said.

Activities that followed included an obstacle course dominating the small gym, bubble soccer games and throwing pies at staff members’ faces. Platefuls of whip cream smothered faces, and smiles and laughter filled the cafeteria.  

Students were also able to “buy” snacks, such as cotton candy and root beer floats, throughout Be an Eagle Week with their earned Talon Tickets during lunch periods. Talon Tickets were awarded throughout the beginning of second semester by teachers to students who demonstrated the Eagle Way, Respect + Courtesy = Pride. Some examples of students earning Talon Tickets included wearing spirit wear, volunteering and doing something kind.

Be an Eagle Week was a fun filled week full of sweet treats and amusing activities that ultimately encouraged an increase in school spirit.
“It was a really nice change of pace for students and I really think we all appreciated all the fun events that made the week easier. It made the school come together in an event that was all about school spirit, which I think is usually dragging around this time of year,” Grupka said.

In a survey of 245 Lakes students and staff members, 90 percent of staff responded that they would make this event an annual event and 60 percent of students said the week was the “best thing ever.”

“Overall, the survey seems to show that Be an Eagle Week was enjoyed by most members of the Lakes community. We intend to use the survey results to improve the experience for everyone for next time,” Kellie Piekutowski, Lakes Director of Information and Learning Center.

Grupka and Piekutowski both agree that Be an Eagle Week brought about prominent pride.

“That’s one reason we also started the #BeAnEagle campaign as a way to encourage the entire school community to share positive stories about what students and staff are accomplishing. We also appreciated that the week brought students and staff together outside of the classroom. We don’t always get a chance to do that during the regular school day,” Piekutowski said.

As for behind the scenes, the planning for Be an Eagle Week was extensive. A committee made up of Piekutowski, counselor Nicole Repa and teachers Emily Goldkind and Jennifer Harrington met multiple times and communicated everyday leading up to the event to touch base with roles and organization.

The idea for this fun filled week was modeled off of surrounding schools and their similar events.

“Since we already have the #BeAnEagle campaign and we already have Talon Tickets, it made sense to stick with the Be An Eagle ‘brand’ instead of introducing a whole new idea to Lakes students and staff,” Piekutowski said.
Be an Eagle Week prompted pride within Lakes as students and staff members engaged in a multitude of activities.