Signing Day for Six Student Athletes at Lakes

Stephen Gerrits

Six student athletes on Signing Day pictured with Lakes Administration.

Erica Frisby, Sports Editor

As high school sports are coming to an end for many of the seniors at Lakes Community High School, six student athletes are taking their first steps to prepare for collegiate experience. Senior Cameron Ruiz is signing on Feb. 1 to further his academic and football career at Northwestern University along with five other students. Nick Dydo, Cameron Beezley, Lindsay Smith, Kaitlyn Baertsch and Isabella Pighini are signing their contracts to play soccer as well.

Ruiz will be playing as a cornerback for the Northwestern Wildcats come fall of 2017. Named First team All-State from News-Gazette and Illinois High School Football Coaches Association (IHSFCA), Ruiz was recognized as one of the most prolific football players in Illinois. Their division I program should be a great fit for Ruiz.

“I picked Northwestern because they are a great academic school and their football program is on the rise. I see that I can reach my full potential there,” Ruiz said.

Kevin Kullby, head soccer coach for boys and girls, will send off three of his soccer players to play on division I teams.

“To the credit of each of those players, they did a far amount on their own with their offseason club teams. They have all put in pretty good effort these four years to become very good players,” Kullby said.

Nick Dydo will transition to Division I college soccer at Valparaiso University as a center midfielder.  

“D1 soccer is going to be different than Lakes soccer because of the high level of play and the fact that everybody on the field is competitive and wants to win,” Dydo said.

Cameron Beezley and Dydo have been playing together since freshman year. However, big changes will come when the duo is split up next year. Beezley is signing to play at DePaul University in Chicago as an outside forward.

“I was first attracted to DePaul because it is located in Chicago and I’ve always wanted to live in the city. They are also in the Big East Conference which is very competitive and very exciting to get to play in,” Beezley said.

Similar to Beezley, Isabella Pighini was also able to find a school that would fit her needs. She will be furthering her academic and soccer career at Western Carolina University located in Cullowhee, North Carolina.      

“I’m most excited for the atmosphere I’ll be in because it’s super positive and uplifting. It definitely fits what I want out of college, and I am so excited to be able to play soccer there also,” Pighini said.

Lindsay Smith and Kaitlyn Baertsch will be playing at Cornell College in Iowa and Carroll University in Wisconsin respectively. All six student athletes have shown talent throughout their high school career and are ready to continue to gain experience at the college level.

Make sure to check out lakesstudentmedia.com for more updates on Lakes athletics.